What do you love about your home? Is it your large closet, your heirloom pieces, or even your garage? I posted this question on my Facebook page, and it was interesting to see all of the diverse answers from my friends.
When I began planning the layout of my new home six years ago, I had a very clear idea of what I wanted…..Tall ceilings, character and personality so my home did not look so “new,” gathering spaces for friends and family, and easy transitions from room to room.
Working as a designer, I see some pretty incredible spaces. Yet, when I think of my own home, there are simple features I have grown to not only appreciate but to absolutely love!
Here are my TOP FIVE FAVORITE things about my own home:
1. Built – Ins. Whether you choose to build in a banquette, a bookshelf, or window seating, built-ins give a space weight, texture, and above all, personality. Whenever possible, I love incorporating custom sofas and banquettes into my clients’ homes. Here are some examples from my own.
2. Hidden Storage. My mother laughs when she comes to our house and finds several pairs of flip flops on the stair landing. Yes, we do live in our house. I wanted to incorporate a few places in my home where we “hide” our everydayness by creating spaces that we are able to close off. Everything has a place, and it’s out of eyesight so tidiness comes easily (most of the time). A desk area behind a closed door in each of my children’s bedrooms serves this purpose perfectly. This way, their papers and schoolwork stay out of the way, and their rooms tend to remain neater and more organized.
Here is a picture of my foyer where there is hidden storage under the stairs. If you look closely, you will see that the paneled wall has a built-in jib door.
3. Light. Big windows mean big light. I love the feel of sunlight flooding into a space. When designing a room, it is important to look at its function as well as the type of light it receives. For daytime, there is no better lighting than natural.
Large windows also “let the outside in” and give a feeling of spaciousness in the right setting. See how this window allows light into the space and accentuates it?
4. My Warming Drawer. I know, I know – it’s odd to love a warming drawer, but with a family-on-the-go, it has become the appliance we cannot live without. While I try to have all of us sitting down and eating together, it is not always conducive with everyone’s schedule. It has saved time, energy, meals, and well, my sanity, as a result.
5. My Family. Design and decorating go a long way, as a pretty home is a wonderful place to lay one’s head at night. Yet, as I look around mine, it would mean nothing without the people that inhabit it – my husband, three daughters, and my Yorkie-Poo. It’s the fun times we have using and enjoying the built-ins, hidden storage and yes, warming drawers, that put these items on my list of favorites. After all, as the author, Lois McMaster Bujold, once said, “My home is not a place, it is people.”